Danny Mayo

Born: 1950 Gadsden, AL

Died: Oct. 2, 1999

Country songwriter

Source: Alabama Music Hall of Fame

(Aimee Mayo) She learned the craft from her father, Danny Mayo, who wrote classics including Alabama's "If I Had You," Tracy Byrd's "Keeper of the Stars" and "Feed Jake" by Pirates of the Mississippi.

"I've been writing as long as I can remember," said Mayo. "The first song I ever wrote, I wrote with my dad when I was 8 or 9. It was called 'If Only I Could Hold You Again, I'd Never Let You Go.' We had been to the movies, and afterwards I told him I wanted to be a songwriter. He said, 'Well, what makes you think you can?'"

"I said, 'Because I've got a title,'" she said, laughing. "I told him the title, and he pretty much wrote the rest, and then made a record of it. I still have that little 45. I couldn't even believe I had my name on a record."

It was the first of many times Mayo would see her name on a record.

Source: Aimee Mayo: A Family Tradition of Songwriting

More info: Aimee Mayo Interview - SongwriterUniverse

Southern Star, AlabamaNo Ordinary Man, Tracy ByrdBest ofConfederate Railroad (Remastered), Confederate Railroad

Listen: Southern Star by Alabama - Download Southern Star on iTunes

Listen: Amazon.com: If I Had You: Alabama: MP3 Downloads

Listen: Listen: No Ordinary Man by Tracy Byrd - Download No Ordinary Man on iTunes

Listen: Amazon.com: The Keeper Of The Stars: Tracy Byrd: MP3 Downloads

Listen: Amazon.com: Best of: Pirates of the Mississippi: Music

Listen: Confederate Railroad - Download Confederate Railroad Music on iTunes

Listen: Amazon.com: Confederate Railroad: Confederate Railroad: Music

Subscribe to Newsletter

Rick Carter Radio - All Alabama Music

Accepting submissions and adding them daily. Artists can send their songs in MP3's to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. One song per email. Graphics and song and artist info should be included of course.

This space
for rent!

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.