Jim McBride

Born: April 28, 1947, Huntsville, AL

Jim McBride, of Huntsville, was a full time postman and part time songwriter until 1981 when he left the postal service to pursue his songwriting career full time. His first hit song came that year with the release by Conway Twitty of "A Bridge That Just Won't Burn". That same year he had his first number one hit "Bet Your Heart On Me" released by Johnny Lee and performed in the movie "Country Gold".

The number one hits have continued to flow from his pen. Over the years he has reached number one with, "Rose In Paradise" by Waylon Jennings, "Chasin' That Neon Rainbow", "Someday", "Chattahoochee" and "Who Says You Can't Have It All" by Alan Jackson.

Jim has had his songs recorded by superstars Alabama, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Brenda Lee, Charley Pride, Anne Murray, Reba McEntire, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Paycheck, Crystal Gayle, Mickey Gilley, Travis Tritt, Randy Travis, John Anderson, Patty Loveless, and many others.

In 1994 "Chattahoochee" (co-written with Alan Jackson) won the Country Music Association Award for Song of the Year. In 1995 the Alabama Music Hall of Fame awarded him with it's Music Creator Award. He has received various other Music Industry Awards from ASCAP, BMI, Nashville Songwriter's Assoc. and others.

Chart Songs as a Songwriter

Song Title Recording Artist Chart* Year
Bet Your Heart On Me Johnny Lee 1 1981
Chattahoochee Alan Jackson 1 1993
Rose In Paradise Waylon Jennings 1 1987
Chasin' That Neon Rainbow Alan Jackson 2 1990
Bridge That Just Won't Burn Conway Twitty 3 1981
You Can't Have It All Alan Jackson 4 1994
What I Meant To Say Wade Hayes 5 1996
Your Memory Ain't What It Used To Be Mickey Gilley 5 1986
If I Keep On Going Crazy Leon Everette 11 1981
How Do You Sleep At Night Wade Hayes 13 1998
A House With No Curtains Alan Jackson 18 1998
Sawmill Road Diamond Rio 21 1994
Do I Have To Say Goodbye Louise Mandrell 28 1987
Guilty Eyes Bandana 37 1985
I Was Born With A Broken Heart Aaron Tippin 38 1992
Where Forever Begins Neal McCoy 40 1992

*Chart position is based on Billboard Magazine Pop, Country, R&B, & A/C Charts. Other music industry charts may have shown higher chart positions.

Source: Alabama Music Hall of Fame

Photo of Jim McBride

Jim McBride is a CMA Award winning, Grammy nominated songwriter and former President of the Nashville Songwriters Association International. His writing career spans over 30 years and includes over 100 album cuts, 18 top 40 singles, 10 top ten singles and 6 number ones. Originally from Huntsville, AL, Jim grew up in a house filled with music from his mother’s radio. He absorbed every note of every country song he heard and began writing songs at an early age. At 21, he traded a pistol for his first guitar and took lessons from his uncle. He eventually contacted another songwriter from North Alabama, the legendary Curly Putman, to get advice and guidance. Curly encouraged Jim to continue to write and send his songs to Nashville. He had several cuts over the next few years but his big break had yet to come. He had been urged to move from Huntsville to Nashville to be part of the country music scene but he was reluctant to give up his steady job at the United States Post Office to pursue his dream. Jim told himself that if he ever had a song to reach the top ten, he would move his family to Nashville. In 1981, that is exactly what happened when Conway Twitty’s release of A Bridge That Just Won’t Burn reached 2 on the Billboard Charts. That was shortly followed by his first number one song, Johnny Lee’s Bet Your Heart On Me. The next ten years brought many album cuts by major artist ranging from Johnny Cash to Alabama. In 1987 Waylon Jennings reached number one for the last time in his long career with Rose In Paradise. In the early 90’s, he met a young singer looking for a record deal named Alan Jackson and an instant friendship was born. The two collaborated on a number of hit songs including Chasing That Neon Rainbow, Who Says You Can’t Have It All and Someday all 1 songs. Their biggest hit came in 1993 with the smash hit Chattahoochee. The song received the honor of Song of The Year from The Country Music Association, ASCAP, American Songwriter Magazine, British Country Music Association, Canadian Country Music Association as well as Billboard Magazine’s most performed song of the year. The song was also nominated for a Grammy and Academy of Country Music Award. Other notable achievements include the Creator Award from the Alabama Music Hall of Fame in recognition of his contributions to the musical heritage of his home state. He also received an Academy of Country Music Song of the Year nomination for Angels In Waiting by Tammy Cochran. Numerous ASCAP and other organizational awards have been bestowed upon Jim McBride throughout his career. In all his songs have been recorded by more than 80 major label artist including George Jones, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Travis Tritt, Reba McEntire, Alan Jackson, Johnny Paycheck, Randy Travis, Alabama, Jerry Lee Lewis, Trace Adkins, Crystal Gayle, Diamond Rio, Lonestar and many others. His songs have been on over 60 million albums sold. He has continued to write and have success over the years and has stayed active in the songwriter community. He currently is serving on the Board of the Nashville Songwriters Foundation.

Source: Jim McBride | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

More info: JIM MCBRIDE: One Of The Lucky Ones | American Songwriter

JimMcBride

SONGWRITER’S WRITING WITH ARTISTS | American Songwriter

Nashville.com Featured Songwriter: Jim McBride « Nashville Music Scene

Jim McBride | News | BMI.com

Video: YouTube - Jim McBride / Songwriter - Music Business Radio Promo

Bet Your Heart On Me, Johnny LeeAlan Jackson: 16 Biggest Hits, Alan JacksonWaylon Jennings: The Complete MCA Recordings, Waylon JenningsNumber Ones, Conway TwittyOld Enough To Know Better, Wade Hayes

Listen: Bet Your Heart On Me by Johnny Lee - Download Bet Your Heart On Me on iTunes

Listen: Amazon.com: Bet Your Heart On Me: Johnny Lee: MP3 Downloads

Listen: Alan Jackson: 16 Biggest Hits by Alan Jackson - Download Alan Jackson: 16 Biggest Hits on iTunes

Listen: Amazon.com: Chattahoochee: Alan Jackson: MP3 Downloads

Listen: Waylon Jennings: The Complete MCA Recordings by Waylon Jennings - Download Waylon Jennings: The Complete MCA Recordings on iTunes

Listen: Amazon.com: Rose In Paradise: Waylon Jennings: MP3 Downloads

Listen: Number Ones by Conway Twitty - Download Number Ones on iTunes

Listen: Amazon.com: A Bridge That Just Won't Burn: Conway Twitty: MP3 Downloads

Listen: Old Enough To Know Better by Wade Hayes - Download Old Enough To Know Better on iTunes

Listen: Amazon.com: What I Meant To Say: Wade Hayes: MP3 Downloads

Subscribe to Newsletter

Rick Carter Radio - All Alabama Music

Accepting submissions and adding them daily. Artists can send their songs in MP3's to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. One song per email. Graphics and song and artist info should be included of course.

This space
for rent!

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.