Roger Murrah

Born: Nov. 20, 1946, Athens, AL

1991 Inductee Alabama Music Hall of Fame

An Athens, AL, native, Roger Murrah became one of the most successful songwriters in Nashville by combining his insight into the entire range of human experiences with memorable hook lines and unforgettable melodies.

His musical career began in high school when he fronted a band. After a tour of duty in the Army, Murrah signed as a staff writer with Rick Hall's publishing company in Muscle Shoals. He moved to Nashville in 1972, and wrote his first chart single, "It's Raining In Seattle," the following year.

His accomplishments were acknowledged in 1988 when BMI named him "Songwriter Of The Year." He has been president of the Nashville Songwriter's Association, International and serves on the Board of Directors of the Country Music Association.

His songs have crossed various musical styles, including the 1981 Al Jarreau hit "We're In This Love Together," which was named a BMI Millionaires indicating over one million radio performances. "Don't Rock The Jukebox," "Hearts Aren't Made To Break (They're Made To Love)," "Ozark Mountain Jubilee," "High Cotton," and "Southern Star." He also co-wrote the Waylon Jennings album "A Man Called Hoss."

Chart Songs as a Songwriter

Song Title Recording Artist Chart* Year
Don't Rock The Jukebox Alan Jackson 1 1991
Hearts Aren't Made To Break Lee Greenwood 1 1986
High Cotton Alabama 1 1989
I'm In A Hurry And I Don't Know Why Alabama 1 1992
If I Could Make A Living Clay Walker 1 1994
It Takes A Little Rain Oak Ridge Boys 1 1987
Life's Highway Steve Wariner 1 1986
Southern Rains Mel Tillis 1 1981
Southern Star Alabama 1 1990
This Crazy Love Oak Ridge Boys 1 1987
It's A Little Too Late Tanya Tucker 2 1993
National Working Woman's Holiday Sammy Kershaw 2 1994
Stranger Things Have Happened Ronnie Milsap 2 1990
Bridge That Just Won't Burn Conway Twitty 3 1981
Only Love Wynonna Judd 3 1993
Fast Lanes And Country Roads Barbara Mandrell 4 1986
Ozark Mountain Jubilee Oak Ridge Boys 5 1984
Song Title Recording Artist Chart* Year
When I Could Come Home To You Steve Wariner 5 1990
My Rough And Rowdy Days Waylon Jennings 6 1987
We're In This Love Together Al Jarreau 6 1981
Where Corn Don't Grow Travis Tritt 6 1997
Goodbye Time Conway Twitty 7 1988
My Silver Lining Mickey Gilley 8 1979
Bridges And Walls Oak Ridge Boys 10 1989
You've Got Something On Your Mind Mickey Gilley 10 1985
If I Keep On Going Crazy Leon Everette 11 1981
Don't Say Goodbye Rex Alen, Jr. 15 1977
If Old Hank Could Only See Us Waylon Jennings 16 1988
Time In Oak Ridge Boys 17 1987
Louisiana Rain John Wesley Ryles 20 1988
Somebody Slap Me John Anderson 22 1997
Somewhere Between Ragged And Right John Anderson 23 1988
All American Man Johnny Paycheck 23 1975
Paradise John Anderson 26 1996
Song Title Recording Aritst Chart* Year
It's Like Falling In Love Over & Over Osmond Brothers 28 1982
I Don't Want To Lose Leon Everette 30 1980
You Can't Keep A Good Memory Down John Anderson 31 1986
Angela Mundo Earwood 32 1981
This Must Be My Ship Carol Chase 32 1980
Don't Feel Like The Lone Ranger Leon Everette 33 1979
When I'm Gone Dottsy 34 1979
Love Is What We Make Kenny Rogers 35 1985
I Just Want To Be With You Sammi Smith 36 1981
How Much Is It Worth To Live In L.A. Waylon Jennings 38 1988
Hello Daddy And Good Morning Darling Mel McDaniel 39 1980

*Chart position is based on Billboard Magazine Pop, Country, R&B, & A/C Charts. Other music industry charts may have shown higher chart positions.

Source: Alabama Music Hall of Fame

Roger Murrah

With hit songs spanning four decades and dozens of airplay and achievement awards, Roger Murrah is one of Nashville’s most prolific songwriters and successful independent music publishers. His respect as a writer was earned through the years due to his songs being known for more than just a hook line or a catchy melody. He writes with insight and understanding about the entire range of human experience, from the loving commitment of Al Jarreau’s “We’re In This Love Together”, to the emotional homecoming of the Oakridge Boy’s “Ozark Mountain Jubilee” and the “audio-biography” of Waylon Jennings’ A Man Called Hoss. Murrah is employed by Bug Music, serving as its Senior Vice President, Nashville,

Personally, Roger Murrah is more like the people in his songs than those at his level of success. He is a soft-spoken man of humility and moral conviction. He grew up on the family farm in Athens, Alabama with four brothers and a sister.

While serving in the Army in 1968, Murrah signed on as a staff writer with the acclaimed, Muscle Shoals music publisher/producer Rick Hall. Following his military service, he and some partners opened a recording studio in Huntsville, Alabama. It was there that he met industry veteran Bobby Bare, the recording artist and music publisher that would give Murrah his first major break. In 1972 he moved to Nashville to sign with Bare’s Return Music. In 1973, Murrah married the former Kitty Goodman of Huntsville and had his first nationally charted song, “It’s Raining In Seattle,” recorded by Wynn Stewart. He credits Kitty with being a very positive influence in his life, as well as the ideal support for his career.

By 1978 Murrah was on the staff of award-winning songwriter Bill Rice’s Magic Castle Music. The successful songs continued with Mel Tillis’ recording of “Southern Rains” (Murrah’s first #1 song), Conway Twitty’s “A Bridge That Just Won’t Burn”, Steve Wariner’s “Life’s Highway” and the Oak Ridge Boys’ “Ozark Mountain Jubilee”. Then in 1981, Al Jarreau recorded and released “We’re In This Love Together”, which became an international jazz/pop hit and a BMI Multi-Million-Air Award winner for Murrah. This song also played a role in Nashville’s ever-growing popularity as a world-renowned creative center for many music genres.

In 1984 Murrah signed with Tom Collins Music. His string of successes continued with “Hearts Aren’t Made to Break (They’re Made To Love)”, by Lee Greenwood, “It Takes A Little Rain (To Make Love Grow)”, “Crazy Love” and “Bridges And Walls”, three of five Oak Ridge Boys’ singles to his credit. During those days, Murrah broke new ground by co-writing with Waylon Jennings, the late singer’s life story, A Man Called Hoss. The Jennings album yielded two more hits for Murrah, “Rough and Rowdy Days” and “If Ole Hank Could Only See Us Now”. The autobiographical songs were also performed by Jennings as a one-man theatrical production.

In addition to those songs, Murrah’s writing credits include “Where Corn Don’t Grow”, recorded by Travis Tritt and Waylon Jennings, two hits in a row by Alabama entitled “Southern Star” and “High Cotton”, Ronnie Milsap’s “Stranger Things Have Happened”, Steve Wariner’s “When I Could Come Home To You”, John Anderson’s “Somebody Slap Me” and the Grammy/CMA Song Of The Year nominated “Don’t Rock The Jukebox,” recorded by Alan Jackson.

In 1990 Murrah formed Murrah Music Corporation, which he currently oversees and where he continues to write songs and groom staff-writers to do the same. Within two years, the company had achieved the position of Billboard Magazine’s Independent Publisher of the Year. The firm has continued to flourish with activity including another hit song for Alabama entitled “I’m In A Hurry (And Don’t Know Why)”, Tanya Tucker’s “Two Sparrows In A Hurricane”, “It’s A Little Too Late” and “A Memory Like I’m Gonna Be”; Wynonna’s “Only Love”, and Clay Walker’s “If I Could Make A Living Out Of Loving You”. Other hit records the company has enjoyed are Academy Country Music Song(s) of the Year, “I’m Movin’ On”, recorded by Rascal Flatts and “Keeper Of The Stars”, recorded by Tracy Byrd.

Reba McEntire’s “He Gets That From Me”, Blaine Larson’s “How Do You Get That Lonely”, Blake Shelton’s “Goodbye Time”, Sammy Kershaw’s “National Working Woman’s Holiday”, Kenny Chesney’s “When I Close My Eyes”, Reba McEntire’s “I’m A Survivor” (which also became the theme song for the hit television series, “Reba”), Mark Chesnutt’s “She Was”, Martina McBride’s Where Would You Be” as well as “Can’t Keep Going On And On” recorded by Take 6 on their Grammy winning album Join The Band. Along with the company’s chart activity with Billy Currington’s “Good Directions”, Luke Bryan’s “All My Friends Say”, “We Rode In Trucks” and “Country Man”. In 2007, Murrah Music was Nashville’s first independent publisher to make Billboard Magazines’ Top 10 Music Publisher’s Media Base Airplay Chart.

Murrah’s commitment extends to the music industry and community as well. He’s served two consecutive terms as president of the Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI), where he’s credited with exemplary leadership that guided the organization to the respectable and professional standing that it still enjoys today. During his second term as president of NSAI, Murrah was also elected chairman of the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Foundation. He has served on the boards of the Country Music Association, Biblical Resource Center & Museum in Memphis, as a governor and vice president on the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences board of governors, as well as a three-term Governor’s appointee to the Tennessee Film, Entertainment and Music Advisory Council. Murrah, an alumnus of Leadership Music, is currently serving a third term as chairman of the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Foundation.

A 2005 inductee into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame himself and a recipient of a Bronze Star induction into the Walk of Fame of the Alabama Music Hall of Fame, Murrah is also listed among Broadcast Music Incorporated’s celebrated Songwriter(s) of the Year and Songwriter(s) of the Decade. In 1997, he was honored when Resolution HJR 355 was passed by both houses of the Alabama

State Legislature and signed by the state’s governor, commending Murrah for an “Outstanding Professional Career”.

Source: Welcome to Murrah Music

More info: Roger Murrah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roger Murrah

Roger Murrah

A Man Called HossTanya, Tanya TuckerFor the Record, AlabamaThe Essential Ronnie Milsap, Ronnie MilsapGreatest Hits, Kenny ChesneyDon't Rock the Jukebox, Alan Jackson

Listen: Amazon.com: A Man Called Hoss: Waylon Jennings: Music

Listen: Tanya by Tanya Tucker - Download Tanya on iTunes

Listen: For the Record by Alabama - Download For the Record on iTunes

Listen: Amazon.com: Alabama I'm in a Hurry (And Don't Know Why): MP3 Downloads

Listen: The Essential Ronnie Milsap by Ronnie Milsap - Download The Essential Ronnie Milsap on iTunes

Listen: Amazon.com: Stranger Things: Ronnie Milsap: Music

Listen: Greatest Hits by Kenny Chesney - Download Greatest Hits on iTunes

Listen: Amazon.com: When I Close My Eyes: Kenny Chesney: MP3 Downloads

Listen: Don't Rock the Jukebox by Alan Jackson - Download Don't Rock the Jukebox on iTunes

Listen: Amazon.com: Don't Rock the Jukebox: Alan Jackson: Music

Subscribe to Newsletter

Rick Carter Radio - All Alabama Music

Accepting submissions and adding them daily. Artists can send their songs in MP3's to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. One song per email. Graphics and song and artist info should be included of course.

This space
for rent!

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.